SailNet Community - View Single Post - Small Cruising Catamarans
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005

FredMG is on a distinguished road
Small Cruising Catamarans

Hi Folks,

I''ve sailed most of my 56 years, and have owned two trimarans... both Jim Brown Searunnner designs (25''er and then an open wind 31). I''ve sailed on many different monohulls, tris, cats, nearly all rigs, and have worked in naval architecture earlier in my life.

Currently my wife & I are between boats, and are thinking about what our next one might be.

I''ve been looking at small cruising cats (small defined as no bigger than around 34'', generally smaller). The ones I''ve been focusing on mostly right now are the Heavenly Twins, Summer Twins, Star Twins, Catalac 8m, 9m, 10m, and similar cats. I''ve raced, cruised, even honeymooned on a boat (a schooner up in Maine), and I guess have a lot of knowledge about boats in general.

What I don''t have is in-depth knowledge of living (not necessarily living aboard, but living with/cruising, daysailing, etc) with those boats.

I''d really appreciate any and all information from owners of or previous owners of any and all such smaller crusing cats as to the truths about the boats: Pluses, minus''s, real exciting good stuff about them, what to really watch out for (true caveats), typical problems with each, true sailing performance, maintenance issues with each, and so forth.

Thanks in advance for all comments & info anyone here can provide! I know I''ll never live long enough to learn everything I''d like about everything I''m interested in, so I''m hoping to learn from the experience of experts like yourselves on all those boats & related things I know I probably don''t know!

Best regards for a terrific 2005 sailing year too!

Fred (Long Island, NY)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook