SailNet Community - View Single Post - Asymmetrical Spinnaker Tacker
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 02-13-2005
Asymmetrical Spinnaker Tacker

A good refernce for the type of system you describe, and cruising kites generally, can be found at

I had my rigger make a up a wire loop of parrell beads which simply attaches to the tack of the sail with a snap shackle. The loop then runs up and down the furled headsail quite freely. The beads are a standard item from Harken used for rope stops (easy and cheap).
I have rigged a downhaul to allow the height of the tack to be adjusted. This passes through a simple block and cleat system spring mounted off the top of my anchor frame. I have positioned the cleat forward (rather than back at the cockpit) because I like to have someone up front managing the launch, retrieve and gybes - despite having a dousing sock (a must). I''d be happy to take a digital photo of the system next weekend and send it to you if you can get an email address to me.

Now, can someone suggest a foolproof way of controlling the long lazy sheet (which runs outside of the stays) during a gybe. I haven''t done it yet but I''m sure one day it will end up around the keel.
Ray (Sydney Australia)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome