SailNet Community - View Single Post - Asymmetrical Spinnaker Tacker
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005

raybies is on a distinguished road
Asymmetrical Spinnaker Tacker

A good refernce for the type of system you describe, and cruising kites generally, can be found at http://www.neilprydesails.com/infoframe.htm

I had my rigger make a up a wire loop of parrell beads which simply attaches to the tack of the sail with a snap shackle. The loop then runs up and down the furled headsail quite freely. The beads are a standard item from Harken used for rope stops (easy and cheap).
I have rigged a downhaul to allow the height of the tack to be adjusted. This passes through a simple block and cleat system spring mounted off the top of my anchor frame. I have positioned the cleat forward (rather than back at the cockpit) because I like to have someone up front managing the launch, retrieve and gybes - despite having a dousing sock (a must). I''d be happy to take a digital photo of the system next weekend and send it to you if you can get an email address to me.

Now, can someone suggest a foolproof way of controlling the long lazy sheet (which runs outside of the stays) during a gybe. I haven''t done it yet but I''m sure one day it will end up around the keel.
Ray (Sydney Australia)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook