SailNet Community - View Single Post - About that Stuffing Box
View Single Post
post #9 of Old 05-20-2009
nk235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesaila View Post
I just paid to have mine done. Next time I do it myself. The mechanic who did it does it quite often and said he used teflon packing which should be good for 5 years. I'm guessing/hoping its the Gore GFO that was mentioned. The original price was sky high and when I complained the owner of the company justified the price by stating "no body wants to do them"??....well he adjusted the price, and "I" want to do them now.
I was tempted to do that also since my boat was only out of the water for 3 days and I have never done it before and heard it could be a pain. But to be honest I don't really trust the work the yards do anyway, wanted to learn how to do it, and knew if I did it myself the chances of having it done right as opposed to some guy at the yard would be much higher so I bit the bullet.

Now that I know how, played around with the PTFE flax packing so much before I then again changed it out in the water to the GFO stuff, I bet you I could change MY stuffing box in about 6 minutes. So all in all I am happy I know how because you never know where you are going to be when something like this fails and you have to get your hands in there.

Morgan 323
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome