SailNet Community - View Single Post - About that Stuffing Box
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesaila View Post
I just paid to have mine done. Next time I do it myself. The mechanic who did it does it quite often and said he used teflon packing which should be good for 5 years. I'm guessing/hoping its the Gore GFO that was mentioned. The original price was sky high and when I complained the owner of the company justified the price by stating "no body wants to do them"??....well he adjusted the price, and "I" want to do them now.
I was tempted to do that also since my boat was only out of the water for 3 days and I have never done it before and heard it could be a pain. But to be honest I don't really trust the work the yards do anyway, wanted to learn how to do it, and knew if I did it myself the chances of having it done right as opposed to some guy at the yard would be much higher so I bit the bullet.

Now that I know how, played around with the PTFE flax packing so much before I then again changed it out in the water to the GFO stuff, I bet you I could change MY stuffing box in about 6 minutes. So all in all I am happy I know how because you never know where you are going to be when something like this fails and you have to get your hands in there.