SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Roller Furling Headsails

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I just purchased a Southern Cross 31 that has a year old headsail inventory of hanked sails. I want to add a roller furler and would like to know if the luffs of my current sails can be converted to accomodate the furling system.

#2 ·
The short answer: yes, you can convert them from hank on to luff tape for a furler.
The long answer: sails that were made with hank on luffs should really have some foam added along the luff so the sail furls better. This will add to the cost of adding the luff tape by a sail maker.
If it were my boat I would probably try going a season with the hank on inventory as you say they are only 1 year old. If you still had a hankering for a roller furler then I would think about getting a new sail with the furler (say a 150%) and maybe have one of the better, smaller jibs fitted with luff tape for higher winds. I think there is a slight difference in the way the sails are cut to fit on a furler so the hank on sails may not work as optimally as they could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.