SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

WaveBox Portable Microwave - Anyone?

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  wind_magic 
#1 ·
See less See more
#3 ·
DC Direct to 12-volt Battery – The extra-long 9-foot cable has alligator clamps to attach directly to any 12-volt vehicle or boat battery. In this power mode the WaveBox delivers the same 660 watts of cooking power as the AC cord.

thats gotta draw 60 amps to put out full power :eek: ?

DC Vehicle Power Outlet – Allows you to plug the WaveBox into a 12-volt vehicle power outlet rated at 20 amps or greater. Using the 20-amp vehicle power outlet, the WaveBox produces 235 watts of cooking power, great for reheating meals, warming coffee or heating convenience foods. Vehicle power outlets can’t supply enough power for the WaveBox to pop popcorn, although popcorn pops great using the other power options.

Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual to make sure the outlets are rated at 20 amps.

#7 ·
Can't wait to hear !
Not being handy, think I'm sticking with the solar oven...LOL... but I can always be persauded....

#8 ·
I purchased one as a gift for my significant other. Took FOOOOORRREEEEEVVEERRR to re-heat a cup of coffee. Manufacturer wouldn't accept it back so I repacked it and sold it on ebay and managed to break even.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing.

Michele

#10 ·
Did you use the cigarette lighter connection, or did you connect it directly to the battery?

The device appears to have rather limited power when not connected to either the battery directly, via the jumper cables, or to AC. I've seen similar reports of it being underpowered, but it seems in all cases they were using the cigarette lighter cord.

???

#9 ·
I don't understand what the purpose of this microwave is. Does it mean portable, like, on batteries to take camping ? Why would anyone want to take a microwave camping unless they are in a camper ? And if that isn't what it means, if it is just 12vdc, then why bother when most inverters will drive a small 100$us microwave that is available from any box store ?

#11 ·
What's attractive to me is the portability/compactness. I have a small boat (26ft) with limited galley space, so being able to easily move it "somewhere else" than the galley, and not taking up too much space when I'm actually using it in the galley, are huge pluses.

#15 ·
Well it came in several weeks late. It works, but is underpowered compared to a house hold type. My big complant is they say it is a 660 watt output but on the stamp on the back it says 450 watts. I sent them a note but have not received any info back. I do like it it as it fits my spot well. I cook alot of the individual size dinners, but they take twice as long as at home. But if I cook from scratch I tend to over cook. The worse was I tried to cook a 100 calorie pack of pop corn I pushed the pop corn timer twice (12 minutes total) and it never popped. But if you want it to reheat small things it works well but takes longer. Yes I was direct connect to the batteries or 120. both were the same.

#16 ·
My experience was even worse. I went ahead and ordered one, and when it arrived, unpacked it, read through the manual, plugged it in with the AC cord (in this case 240VAC), put in a cup of water, set it for 5 minutes, and hit start. There was a loud 'POP' and the unit was dead. Apparently the power supply or something was defective.

So I contacted the European distributor, and they sent me out another unit. This one at least seemed to work, technically, but it had an annoying whine when operating and it took over 12 minutes to boil a cup of water that was already warm, filled from the hot water tap, and a bag of popcorn was, as with badsanta, a complete failure. Hit the 6-min popcorn button twice and hardly any seeds popped. I had the feeling that this unit was also defective and running at the lower power setting, and not at full power.

I've used a 650W microwave on an RV alot and it worked fine for darn near anything, and this unit was pathetic. I think badsanta may be right that it's running at 450W (or less) even in the 'high power' mode.

In any case, I'm doing my best to get a full refund.

Wonderful concept. Poor product. :(

(perhaps, and hopefully, a future incarnation of the concept/product will live up to the specs, in which case if the reviews are near unanimous, I may try it again)

#18 · (Edited)
That's what I used on an extended trip and it worked great. I literally used the cheapest microwave I could find and it ended up being one that was on sale at Walmart for under 50$us. Then I used one of those cheap inverters, also from Walmart to power it. Worked like a charm. :)

Now that I think about it, even the 100amp/hr batteries were from Walmart! :D

Edit - This is very similar to the microwave I bought, this one is 55$us but the one I bought was less because it was a promotional item.

Source: (I'm not posting the source because A) it should be obvious, and B) it is an advertisement)

One reason I wanted one with the knobs on it instead of electronic gwhiz is because when the microwave *dings* and it is finished cooking, it is also finished using electricity until you use it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.