SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice for a novice...
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009

cplyons is on a distinguished road
Advice for a novice...

I have posted a version of this to a local fellow in the "seeking assistance in boat buying" thread, but I thought I'd go ahead and share this with the full group for input.

I have read many, many postings on this site and am about to do the exact opposite of what the consensus thinks is sensible. I am about to buy a "cheap" boat without a formal survey, because I don't want it get away. Talk me out of it?

Background: My small family and I live just outside Ithaca, and in the three years we've lived here I've been dying to get out on Cayuga Lake. I am by no means a skilled sailor. I crewed on some small boats around ten years ago, but have always wanted to get back into this stuff. I am 52, not all that athletic, and have limited time for more than routine maintenance. I don't have a ton of money to devote to this until and unless it becomes the all consuming passion for me like it is for many of you. I envision taking her out once or twice a week during the summer for a couple of hours and two or three overnights for the three of us. I am just under 6' tall. I have no ambition to race or blue water. I do have a nice slip not far from our home.

I am looking for an inexpensive but functional boat that I can run for a year to assess how much I like the sport now that I'm older, and how much my wife (total novice but very game) and kid (5 years old) take to sailing. What I want: Big enough for us to sleep in comfortably. Headroom in the cabin is a huge advantage. No major headaches for simple running as I describe.

I have found a 1975 Grampian 26 out of the water that looks very good. It's only been for sale a few days. Mast is down, but 9.9 Evinrude outboard looks good, as does the bottom and mahogany interior. Full 6'+ headroom in the cabin. Sails are original, but look pretty good as far as I can tell, and honest-seeming seller says they are fine. Chainplates are solid, deck has no spongey spots I can find.

Problems: Minor bend in rudder shaft. Still functional. Problems with the head, currently disconnected. Running lights have some issues, cabin lights are fine. Looks like most extras are there, limiting the $$ I will need to put out for that stuff.

Price: $3,000, including putting in the water.

I've done tons of research, and this seems like a great deal for a big enough, quite stable cruiser for the family to test out for a year. What should be my next steps? Get my head examined and wait for the next "great deal"?

Thanks, and sorry to be so long winded!

Chris Lyons
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook