SailNet Community - View Single Post - looking for a cleat
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Any cleat can be mounted in the track, particulary for small boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtHopeBay View Post
I'm looking for a downhaul cleat for my Balboa 24 mast. They are cleats that slide into the mast slot and are locked in place. I've seen them in O'Day 17 and Catalina 22 part schematics but can't find them online. The O'Day was a clam cleat and the Catalina a horn cleat. I think I'd prefer the clam cleat but either is better than nothing.
Mike
Probably all you need to do is put the correct length bolts through it with nuts (no washers, because you want the nuts to catch), slide it into the opening, and slide it down and tighten firmly in place. The nuts will bite in. This works well if it is not far below the sail feed opening. Some times it takes a little fiddling, but I have done it a number of times.

If the nuts spin, try reaching up to them with a bent coat hanger or such inserted above of below.

Good luck.

A more elegant solution is to get a piece of ~ 1/2" aluminum bar and tap it to hold the bolts. No spinning. This is better if you have to go to the mast head, but it isn't really any stronger.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 05-22-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook