SailNet Community - View Single Post - Filling 3/8" hole in hull. Boat in the water.
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009

QueenElvis is on a distinguished road
Filling 3/8" hole in hull. Boat in the water.

So I was drilling out a broken bolt on an engine mount, and wouldn’t you know – I now have 3/8” hole in the hull. Who knew that the thick fiberglass cradle wasn’t anything like as thick as it looked!

The boat is in the water, and a wooden plug is keeping the boat dry. For now….

How do I fix the hole? Can I use Marine Tex or Rapid Tex? If so, can I just fill the hole by pushing the stuff into the hole? Can I even do this with the boat in the water if I scuba down to the hole? Obviously, I would leave the plug in place until the epoxy is dry. I certainly couldn’t do this from inside because the force of the jet of water when the plug is removed would blow out any epoxy substances introduced to the hole.

But I’m betting I have to haul, and soon. So how do I fix the hole when on the hard? Is there an online reference somewhere where I can read about the necessary techniques? Or perhaps one of you kind readers could describe the procedure for me.

Thanks, and why did this have to happen on Memorial Day weekend when the yard is closed until Tuesday for the haul?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook