SailNet Community - View Single Post - S&S 39 Sailing Characteristics
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
The hull plans are very similar to my C&C designed Newport 41; late CCA era hull with high aspect IOR style rig, with graceful overhangs and a non-planing hull. Should sail well aside from being a bit underpowered sailing downwind with the smaller area on the mainsail; but the easily driven hull helps make up for it (with respect to heavier displacement cruisers). We tend to do better sailing DDW than at 160 deg because the main blankets the jib; yet does not drive the boat well enough alone. At 120deg she picks up good speed but if your destination is DDW you might as well run wing and wing.

Upwind performance on my boat is very good; tracks well, tacks in ~80 degrees. In light wind it will have difficulty pointing but that's true of all but the lightest (ULDB) race boats. This hull design is a bit tender but once you get a handle on sailing with flattened sails it is easy to pinch up a bit to reduce heel in a gust. We regularly sail in 25-30 kts without reefing; I think my SA/D, ballast ratio, draft, and beam, are pretty close to the S&S 39 also.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook