SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opinions on Sailing Schools in DC/Annapolis area?
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Report from sailing school

I just finished the 2-day Basic Sailing Course at Mariner Sailing School in Belle Haven, Virginia and wanted to report back.

The course was great. The first day we got right in the boat (19' Flying Scott) after a short introduction and learned/practiced points of sail, tacking and jibing. The second day was more practice with basic sailing techniques, and also man overboard and docking/mooring drills. The class size is very small, only three to a boat (we had two plus our instructor so it was almost like a private lesson for the price of a course, which was great) so there's very little time spent not sailing, and lots of practice at the tiller. There's a week of free boat rentals (weekdays only) after the class to practice and half-price rentals from the Marina afterward. For those considering a short course, I highly suggest taking it with a friend/partner so that you can have a crew to practice with after the course, or make friends with a more experienced sailor who will want to go out with you.

We had different instructors on both days, which really underlined the difference an instructor can make to the whole experience. Both were quite good, just very different styles. We learned a lot and I would definitely recommend them to others in the area who want to learn to sail.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook