SailNet Community - View Single Post - Filling 3/8" hole in hull. Boat in the water.
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Yes, please nix the epoxy. I think you may be hating life later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
You might want to think about how hard that epoxied bolt will be to remove later and just use the butyl tape.

Originally Posted by pdqaltair
~ 5/16" with a washer gasketed with butyl tape. Push it in from outside and put a nut on it. If you use the nut to push the plug inside, you'll hardly leak a drop. This would probably be safe for a season. I have seen plugs like this serve in 500,000 chemical storage tanks for years... which is a little frightening (the gasket material varies with the chemical).

I like this idea a lot. I think this, combined with some underwater-curing marine epoxy, and I'll have a way to get through the season without hauling. And then after the fall haul, I'll go the Don Casey fiberglass repair way.

Of course, I've been wrong before. Like yesterday, when I didn't think about the drill actually going beyond the cradle to the hull, and beyond again....

Thanks, everyone. Well, almost everyone!
Someone mentioned all-thread than rubber washers. Same idea, really. A carriage bolt is nice because it avoids a possible leak between the washer and the bolt or rod. Butyl tape avoids that leakage by squishing every where.

This general approach is a standard damage control method and is is very well proven, with many variations.

By the way, I meant to type 500,000 gallon chemical tanks, but 500,000 tanks may be true too. ASTM tank inspection is a part of my job, and I see ALL sorts of odd repairs, some good, some....

Good luck! At the very worst, with a rod or bolt method, you will slow the leak to an occasional drip.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook