SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Boat to Learn on Under 10k?
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005

Jason_Els is on a distinguished road
Good Boat to Learn on Under 10k?

Hi!

I''ve sailed a few times and took some lessons but I''m really interested in getting my own boat to learn sailing. I have 10k to spend though a little over wouldn''t break my bank. I''ve checked-out the Vanguard line and saw the Laser2 and 49er and boats like that but I have very little interest in racing; I''m much more interested in someday sailing to the Caribbean, Bermuda, and even across The Pond. Hell, even NYC. While I don''t expect to be able to do these things in a starter boat I''d like to learn how to sail a cruiser.

Right now I''m lucky in that I''ve got an 11-mile long lake to learn on with a few marinas and the Hudson River is only 20 miles away with all of its splendid sights and ability to take me places in relative safety. In a year or so I''m planning on moving to Vermont so I''ll have Lake Champlain to play in. I''d love to sail from Newburgh up to Lake Champlain via the Champlain canal system.

I''m also looking for sailing schools where I could learn this summer. Is there any accreditation association or some way I can find a good sailing school where I could get my CG license?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook