SailNet Community - View Single Post - Small liveaboard: dreaming of simplicity, probably nuts!
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009

MacGyverRI is on a distinguished road
I've lived on a Paceship PY 26 (fin keel/4.5 draft) for almost 2 years now. It's fine for 1 person, but a couple would be cramped.
The Paceship Website Homepage has all the specs

The Centerboard model is probably better for trailering, mine needs a tractor trailer.

-6 ft. headroom
PY 26 has 6'1" except at door headers, cabin area is roughly 7x7.5'

-26 or 27 ft. (as far as I know, the max. length that still qualifies as trailerable)

Trailerable = gross combined weight, pickups are limited to 2-3000 lbs. gross combined weight, a tractor/lg. car carrier type truck would be needed to stay legal.

26' 6" x 9.5' beam (needs wide load signs) and 6400 lbs. empty, I'm around 7200+ lbs. now.

-outboard engine (avoid hassles of inboard)

I have the outboard option and it gave me room for a 45 gal. fresh water holding tank and other misc. storage where the inboard would have been. I'm currently moving my 3 batteries up front behind the head holding tank (under V-Berth) to help balance the extra 370 or so lbs. of water under the cockpit. I also have a fume sniffer (propane/butane/gasoline/sulfuric acid etc.) going.

-marine head

Head w/ holding tank and I also added a shower w/ elec. pump.

-at least one berth with a door: fore or aft, doesn't matter which

Cockpit> Cabin > (door) private head > (door) V-Berth w/ small stand up changing area.

I heated it w/ a 4-8k btu Propane space heater and it was 72F+ inside w/ 0-10F outside winter temps in Rhode Island. I also insulated it w/ the foil over bubble wrap flex. insulation.

If you like my posts, or they were helpful, please click the "scales" icon on top right to add Rep points.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook