SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Boat to Learn on Under 10k?
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005

maestro is on a distinguished road
Good Boat to Learn on Under 10k?

Jason, where are you living??? 20 miles from the Hudson is nothing but a 15-20 min drive. I sail on the Hudson just North of Newburgh. Currently my boat club has 2 Catalina 22''s for sale (cheap) a Catalina 25 in MINT cond. for sale (SUPER CHEAP but owner needs to sell) these boats would be good learners and can handle going all over the Hudson river (or trailor the Cat 22 to lakes)

As for sailing schools........my YC (Chelsea YC) has an ASA certified Adult sailing program ( get ASA certified in Basic KeelBoat...the first certification). There is also a great sailing school in Haverstraw (Great Hudson Sailing Center) that has a couple of great teachers (they are an ASA school as well)

Another option, if you''re close enough is offereing to crew at any YC''s club races.(including mine!!!)(even if you''re not a racer or want to race, there is no other learning tool as good as racing a boat (and crewing) Boats always look for eager sailors who''d like to help out on the weekends.

Just some otions.

As far as a good boat to learn on.........smaller the better, until you''re comfortable. A Laser might be a bit complicated to sail well as it has a TON of control lines for racing. But if you''re going to be mostly on a lake it would be ok. A boat up to 25 ft. would be a good learing vehicle. I learned on an O''DAy 22 while I have seen others learn on sunfish.

AS for a CG licence..........AFTER you have a basic sailing understanding, to get a CG licence, you need a min. 500 days on the water PLUS you need to pass a quite difficult test which includes sections on Navigation, Bouys, Lights, Seamanship,just to name a few. I''ve been sailing for about 10 years now and am just thinking about getting my CG Licence . I''ve been told from CG. Licenced sailors, honestly, if you''re NOT going to use the Licence for it''s intended purpose (which is purely for someone who wants to deliver boats or get into the charter business) don''t get one.

Best of luck

Mike C.
O''28 "Da Capo"
CYC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook