SailNet Community - View Single Post - Virtual Passage Planner
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 05-26-2009 Thread Starter
Omatako

Virtual Passage Planner

Has anybody used this programme and actually put the results of the predictions to the test?

I have used it for a little while now but really just as a what-if tool for fun more than for any real purpose. Now I find myself planning a significant voyage and I start to wonder whether the predictions are any good.

Not that I have any reason to believe they're not. It's just that on my last ocean crossing I used an Admiralty routing chart for info and weather predictions and the information on the chart was not correct at any time throughout the entire 6500nm voyage.

The voyage I may be contemplating is somewhat hazardous and is VERY weather dependant and the sources of weather data in the area are a little thin on the ground. And the predictions I'm getting appear too good to be true.

I wonder whether the wind and current data on VPP is derived by data supplied from the British Admiralty. It could be NOAA. I then get to wondering why it would be any better/worse.

So . . . does anyone believe the stuff that VPP tells them - more importantly, do you have good reason to believe?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome