SailNet Community - View Single Post - WaveBox Portable Microwave - Anyone?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2009
Rhumbunctious

patrickstickler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
Well, that's not surprising. A typical cigarette lighter socket on a boat will supply at most 5 amps. Any more than that and the in-line fuse or breaker blows. The power available to the microwave is therefore 5 amps x 12 volts = only 60 Watts max, and the microwave isn't 100% efficient at converting that input power into R/F. The portable unit on the cigarette lighter would take around 20 times as long to heat something as your typical built-in 1000 Watt house microwave. Hmmm ... 1 minute to heat a cup of water at home, 20 minutes to heat a cup of water in the portable unit. My stove is faster than that!
Well, the specs say the lighter cable should be connected to a socket that can handle 20A, and thus operates at 240W when powered from the lighter socket. But that's still pretty low power. Good for perhaps slightly reheating pre-heated food or beverages, but not for any real kind of cooking.

I don't think anyone using this in any serious manner is going to bother with the ligher cable, but will always connect it directly to the battery for full power.

Quote:

I wonder what this portable microwave draws when connected directly to the batteries?

DaCAP
According to the specs, it can operate at its maximum of 660 Watts when powered either by AC or directly from the battery via the provided "jumper" cables. So it would be drawing 55A at 12V.

-
Cruising the Baltic in 'Merihiisi', a 1979 Westerly Berwick Ketch
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook