SailNet Community - View Single Post - Advice for a novice...
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
I'm really surprised by the number of posts saying pass, pass, pass. I don't know where you guys are; but I'd sure like to see a few of those $3,000 boats lying around.

Now, I agree; NEVER buy a boat just because it's cheap. But also, don't ignore one just because it has few issues either. A sane look at all of the issues is in order.

I looked at this boat with Chris last night; and yes, it has a few issues. I certainly wouldn't be taking it to Portugal; but it's got a LOT of life left in it, IMHO.

The standing rigging is nearly pristine.

The bent rudder shaft is indeed a curious thing; but there does not appear to be any hull damage, damage to the rudder-shaft tube, or deck damage anywhere near the rudder post. Not even any crazing or damaged gel coat. I would almost guess that it was damaged out of the boat; because any activity that would bend a 1" SS shaft would almost HAVE to show some visible damage adjacent to it, wouldn't it?

My only real concern is the swing keel; and that is only because I know very little about how they function and how to really assess them. I'd feel a lot better if I could see the boat in the water and observe it's functionality.

All in all; I'm pretty sure that I wold buy this boat if circumstances were different.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook