SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
I have an open mind on this subject for the moment, I am too new to boating to have developed a strong opinion one way or the other, I'm still collecting information so this thread is useful to me.

For now the way I do my connections is to strip the end of the wire, slip a bit of heat shrink over the wire and move it far enough down the wire so it doesn't get hot during soldering, then I crimp a connector on the end of the wire, then solder it like I have done for years in electronics. Once that is done and the connection has cooled I move the heat shrink up to the edge of the connector and fire it with a lighter to seal the connection. That works for me and I do not remember ever having a failed connection doing this, but I do not have experience using these connections on a boat. Works great in land vehicles though, so unless there are corrosion issues I would expect it to work on a boat too.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook