SailNet Community - View Single Post - Westerbeake 46 died
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009
Cabo Rico 38

jongoose is on a distinguished road
sailingdog - I did think about something around the shaft but the sound was not indicative of that and I dismissed it when she started last night and ran fine in forward and reverse.

John - I have not checked the transmission fluids yet, the cable is fine, have not bothered the stuffing box and the alternator seems fine and the refrigeration is 12v

all - I am starting to think about a hydrolock. I can not tell you if there was steam in the exhaust just before it locked up but it could explain the noise, the fact that it locked up, the fact that it would not turn over in the bay but did finally turn over once back in the marina and then a day later started right up as the steam in the cylinder disapated. It was rocking and rolling with large ships going by as we were on our way out of Eastern Bay. I wonder if it could have shaken enough water loose from the seperator to cause what happened? Like I said this is a real puzzle.

aa3jy - Thanks! And thank goodness for unlimited towing! That little trip home on a holiday would have cost me $1,200.00.