SailNet Community - View Single Post - Morgan 35
Thread: Morgan 35
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005

williamjchampion is on a distinguished road
Morgan 35

I am the proud owner of a 1970 Morgan 35, Hull No. 63. I bought the boat 5 years ago, but raced on it for about 20 years with the prior owners.

I agree with the mast step comment. Mine now has essentially a steel I-Beam that the mast sits on. I have not had any blistering problems. It''s a freshwater boat an the hull has been awlgripped. I''ve replaced pretty much the entire electrical system with home run wiring, a new panel, etc.; replaced the head, seat cushions, lifelines; installed opening ports and have done a lot of cosmetic stuff.

These boats are built like the proverbial brick you know what. Charlie Morgan knew how to design a boat. Pretty lines. We still race it occasionally in PHRF and do pretty well. In its day, we won the Pt. Huron-Mackinac race 3 times. So, the boat will move, particularly off the wind. (Can get a bit squirrely in heavy air with a chute. The rudder, IMHO, is a bit short, but that is probably necessary given the CB design. The prior owners added about a foot to the rudder to keep it from broaching with a chute, but it scared the heck out of me to see that rudder protruding about 6 inches below the keel, so I shortened it up a bit.) The keel-CB combo won''t point with newer designs, but is not awful. Now we mainly go day sailing with occasional 2-3 day cruises. A comfortable boat to sail with a nice cockpit.

Mine has an Edson wheel that was added when it was new. It takes up a fair amount of the otherwise large cockpit and isn''t positioned to give a great steering station.

Mine still has the old workhorse Palmer M-60.

I agree, not much info on the boat available on the Morgan site. Some aspects of the 35 are like the 34. But there are some significant differences.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook