SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good Boat to Learn on Under 10k?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005

Jason_Els is on a distinguished road
Good Boat to Learn on Under 10k?

Thank you all for your generous assistance! I appreciate it no end.

I''m looking very carefully at the Hunter 170 and the Sport-class Catalinas though I don''t know how expensive the Catalinas are as their registration doesn''t work and I can''t find out anything on their prices. The Europa Yachts also are intriguing but I expect they''re way too expensive. Ideally I''d like something with a cruising keel so capsizing isn''t a threat. As I expect to solo nearly all the time, capsizing could ruin my sailing career in short order.

Sailing, I realize, is not the cheapest sport around but what I''d give for a small boat with a cabin for 2 and a decent head for under 20k.

Someday I''d like to be able to afford a Nor''Sea 27 or Dana 24; a compact but solid pocket cruiser or larger but for now I''ll be happy with something easy to learn on.

I checked out the Lightning and it looks interesting. I had heard of Lightnings before but didn''t know what they were. Nickels Boats is the only manufacturer I can find who currently makes them and I can''t see myself getting into one of theirs for less than 20k.

I''ve considered used boats too but I''m leery of them for the obvious reasons but might be persuaded if I could find an engineer I trust.

Thanks again and more replies are surely welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook