SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Treatment in the Tropics
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005

brainstormers is on a distinguished road
Teak Treatment in the Tropics

Acres of lovely new wood are sprouting upon Diva, and in a few weeks I''m going to have to decide what product to use to keep it lovely.
For the first time in my boat-owning life, I''m not trying to reclaim woodwork from the neglect and/or abuse of my predecessors, but have a clean slate to start with!
So, given she''ll be in the Carib for at least the next 5-7 years; and given that my time on her is going to be limited to a month here, a month there...I''d rather not spend that month sanding and varnishing. My question is: what finish will hold up best in the brutal UV, heat and salt environment she''ll be in? I think I''ve narrowed it down to a choice of two products: either Epiphanes or the new formulation of Bristol. The latter makes some enticing claims about durability, but I wonder what this (2 part) finish will be like for small repairs—ie, will I have to strip down to bare wood and start all over again on that whole piece? The price is a good 50% higher than Epiphanes as well. Has anybody used the new Bristol yet?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook