SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Treatment in the Tropics
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 02-24-2005 Thread Starter
Teak Treatment in the Tropics

Acres of lovely new wood are sprouting upon Diva, and in a few weeks I''m going to have to decide what product to use to keep it lovely.
For the first time in my boat-owning life, I''m not trying to reclaim woodwork from the neglect and/or abuse of my predecessors, but have a clean slate to start with!
So, given she''ll be in the Carib for at least the next 5-7 years; and given that my time on her is going to be limited to a month here, a month there...I''d rather not spend that month sanding and varnishing. My question is: what finish will hold up best in the brutal UV, heat and salt environment she''ll be in? I think I''ve narrowed it down to a choice of two products: either Epiphanes or the new formulation of Bristol. The latter makes some enticing claims about durability, but I wonder what this (2 part) finish will be like for small repairs—ie, will I have to strip down to bare wood and start all over again on that whole piece? The price is a good 50% higher than Epiphanes as well. Has anybody used the new Bristol yet?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom shared!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome