SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by wind_magic View Post

Question - Did you say above whether it was a good idea to solder after you made a good crimp or to leave the good crimp alone ? I have been doing crimps and then soldering, what is your opinion on that ?

One odd thing you showed me was that the bad crimp wasn't as bad as I thought it would be inside, I actually imagined worse.
Soldering after a crimp has been made is fine provided you:

A) Know what you are doing (most don't).
B) Use a heat sink to prevent solder creep up the wire
C) Use the correct solder.
D) Use proper strain relief/adhesive lined heat shrink.
E) Use the proper crimp terminals for soldering which are different and non-insulated and rarely as robustly built as the insulated ones or heat shrink ones.
F) Use the proper crimp tool for the solder/crimp terminals which most don't own or have if they have been using a crimper designed for insulated crimps.

In short doing crimp then solder requires different tools, proper training and more labor and will not really yield any better end result.

The bottom line is that there are billions of crimps in use world wide maybe even trillions. Yes solder makes a great electrical connection but is very tough to do correctly, is brittle at the solder wire junction and if resistance becomes an issue it can melt leaving a dangerous hot wire dangling. This is why ABYC recommends a mechanical connection first then solder if you feel the need.

IMHO the best bet is to buy adhesive lined heat shrink crimp terminals and the proper single crimp ratchet tool.

Sailors Solutions sells the heat shrink crimps and the crimp tool. I don't see any need to crimp then solder when using proper connectors w/adhesive heat shrink and the proper crimp tool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook