SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
post #165 of Old 05-28-2009
Maine Sail
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Nigel Calder recommends soldering.

I have had to backtrack on this one.

Let's be clear and please quote us the reference & page # for your statement. In his book Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual he shows how to solder, which is good, but he also says the following.

Originally Posted by Nigel Calder from Boat Owners Mechanical & Electrical Manual Pg. 122

Soldering is a controversial subject. A properly soldered connection creates the best electrical connection, but all too often the soldering is not done properly. In any case, ABYC regulations require that every joint have a mechanical means of connection other than solder. The reason for this is that if the joint gets hot (through excessive resistance or a high current flow) the solder may melt and the joint fall apart. So solder often becomes just an adjunct to a crimped connection, but in this case the solder wicking up the cable creates a hard spot, which is then liable to fail from vibration. The concensus among professionals is that a properly made crimp, done with the proper tools, is frequently a more reliable termination than soldering.
I don't know how you read that but I don't read it as a recommendation but rather a caution about using solder.

-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-28-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome