SailNet Community - View Single Post - Crimping versus Soldering
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by eolon View Post
Wow, hot topic. Tragically, I have a job so I can't endlessly post superfluous minutia, maybe when I retire =)

Soldering = the Devil, yeah, we get it.

Of course, that doesn't exactly jive with solder traces on PC boards, does it? That solder runs just about everything in your life, from your computer, to your car, to your doorbell.

Anyhow, I'm sure you're right, I just thought you might be interested in an alternate opinion. Guess not.

Best Regards,

e

.::.
Soldering is not the devil. No one ever said it was. perhaps you missed the whole point about the vast majority of boat owners not having a CLUE how to properly solder and this is the main reason why it is not advised on top of heat from a resistance situation. There is lots of solder on boats but mostly in PC boards as you mentioned. The computer I am on now has both crimps, many of them, and soldered PC boards. The two methods both make fine electrical connections..

As I have said before solder makes an excellent electrical connection but that is ONLY HALF the story operator error is the other..

We are always interested in an alternate opinion but your original post was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eolon View Post
The correct answer is both.

Solder and then crimp electrical connections.

Glad I could help...
And NASA says:

"4.3.4 Crimping. Stranded wire shall be used for crimping (Requirement). Crimping of solid
wire is prohibited. Crimping of solder tinned wire is prohibited."

I simply disagreed with the methodology of solder first then crimp as do most standards, manufacturers, NASA and the US Military.

Crimping first then soldering is fine provided it is done correctly, which most boaters just don't know how to do.

Again, no one is disputing that solder makes an excellent electrical connection but the application, environment and installation techniques are being debated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 05-28-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook