SailNet Community - View Single Post - high quality yacht brands?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
high quality yacht brands?

I am not sure that I would recommend an Island Packet as a boat to get ''back into sailing on''. There has been a lot of discussion about these boats on this and other sites, and what ever else you might say about IP''s they are not terribly responsive sailors and certainly not a particularly good choice for a boat to hone skills on.

As to your bigger question as to what manufacturer''s offer a quality boat, I think at the heart of it is the bigger question, "What is your definition of quality?". Here there are bound to be a wider range of opinions than one might think. To me a major piece of what makes a boat a ''quality boat'', has to do with the engineering and the choice and use of materials that goes into the final boat. A piece of what makes a quality boat in my opinion deals with sailing ability and ergonomics. In that regard a lot of boats that seem to routinely get the ''quality boat''
seal of approval in the court of general opinion really do not fit my own criteria for what makes a quality boat. It is the really lousy ergonomics of the deck plans and sailing ability of the Island Packet combined with their somewhat crude engineering that would take them off of my list of quality vessels.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook