SailNet Community - View Single Post - high quality yacht brands?
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005

PhilMraz is on a distinguished road
high quality yacht brands?

I have perceived that individual priorities are the key ingredient precipitating the wide variance of opinions about what defines a quality yacht. Some focus on tradition and are attracted to older designs based on wooden boats with split rigs and sprits. Along this path, others appreciate the craftsmanship of fine joinery and designs that give a nod to tradition but acknowledge contemporary developments in keel/hull form and aerodynamics, albeit with little regard to weight reduction. Beyond this divide, many emphasize the more reductive trend of function over form. They perceive that a sailboat is “a priori” designed to sail and appreciate the latest engineering efforts in hull form and rig design, producing yachts with great structural integrity and the highest performance ability.

I submit that there are yacht builders of the highest quality who produce examples of each of these yacht forms. I think PCP summarized the categories very well in an earlier post to this thread, from a cost perspective. However, from a design perspective it is a different discussion.

Certainly, one must understand what he expects his yacht to do. The term “quality” can be applied to anything from an all out racer to a high latitude global cruiser and every degree of cross breed in between, AND one could find a quality yacht to fit the bill.

Inquiring about “quality” sailboats introduces a form of bigotry originating from the biases of sailors communicating personal preferences based on their own experiences. It offers little basis upon which to compare sailboats until one’s personal preferences are known. -Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook