SailNet Community - View Single Post - Any Cal 22 Owners?
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009

NotQuiteCapnRon is on a distinguished road
WTP,

Since you previously owned a sailboat, I suspect the little man in your head is telling you that you have to get the boat out of the water and inspect the hull. Cal 22 have a problem with blisters and you need to clean off some sea crap and see if it has blisters. Blisters are not the end of the world, but they are a major project, therefore lowering the value of the boat and it may be a deal breaker unless you are willing to take on the task or pay someone to properly repair the blisters.

The shoal draft will make trailering a lot easier. The fin keel requires a launch that is steep and deep or a really long extension on your trailer....or both. To be honest, I would not use my boat much if I had to launch it every time out. The mast requires two burly guys to raise....three people is better. It is not a problem if you always have three people with you to launch, unfortunately I don't. You really need to strong people on the mast and one to work the pins at the base.

I can't speak to the performance of the shoal keel model, but unless you are racing, the benefit of easier launching might out weigh any loss of performance anyway. My Cal (fin keel) does point well and sails well in light wind too. She is easy to get moving.

Somewhere in the back of my head I have the number 6.2 for hull speed....I'm not sure that is correct. It’s probably very similar to a Cat 22. I've had mine at 5.8 on a run. I was probably in too much wind to be honest. I comfortable beat at 4.6 - 5.0 in 10 to 15 knots..... Over 15 and its time to reef.

Here is a link to some others for sale if you need a price reference...don't forget some of these have a trailer and motor. Cal 22 Sailboat Photo Gallery

I think they are really fun boats. Hope it goes well for you.

Ron

Last edited by NotQuiteCapnRon; 05-29-2009 at 12:16 PM. Reason: correction
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook