SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Treatment in the Tropics
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2005

FalconEddie is on a distinguished road
Teak Treatment in the Tropics

After years of yacht service and the life-sucking, thankless job of varnishing other peoples teak, I have carefully avoided using teak as much as possible on my own boat. I had several customers (two years ago) have me strip off different areas of their teak (transom of a Grand Banks Trawler, for one) properly condition and treat the bare wood, then carefully apply the required coats of the newest, best, epoxy varnishes on the market. It began to yellow, crack and peel within a year. (Naples, Florida)

I wanted to try something else and might have an answer, but haven''t been at it long enough to be sure. I was hoping to avoid the ''taping off'' thing with oil and went for a simpler, cleaner oil, and finding nothing readily available, mixed some up. I got a quart of pure paraffin (clear smokeless unscented lamp oil - any good hardware store) a quart of tung oil (home depot) and a pint of lemon oil (hardware store) and mixed them together in a gallon jug. I don''t have to tape anything off. I put it on once a week, just like Mom used to do furniture. It looks good and smells good and seems to work. We''ll see. I REALLY like how quick and easy it is. Takes about ten minutes to do the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook