SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Free Delivery

6K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  dailywarren 
#1 · (Edited)
I will deliver your vessel from Florida and surrounding areas to New England area (either way) free of charge. You only pay expenses. I have travelled the ICW many times as well as outside. I have an extensive resume and many references.
I am 61 yrs old & semi-retired. I enjoy being on the water. I offer my services to help fellow boaters and I don't need the money. Email me at tonysmith101@mac.com

#2 ·
I'd point out, you often get what you pay for...

Tony, just curious, but do you have a USCG captain's license of any sort? Do you have insurance?

#6 ·
Add me to the skeptical contingent.

Here is why: tsmith409, Join Date: Feb 2002, Posts: 7. Hmmm that's one post per year.

I hope that tsmith409 proves my skepticism unfounded, but we may have to wait 'til 2010 to see.

#23 · (Edited)
I was WRONG!

tsmith409 said:
For those of you who seem skeptical--let me offer this. I am recently retired.
My wife is still working. I happen to have some free time. I have owned boats all my life and I have sailed in and out of almost every harbor from Maine to Florida. I like to be on the water and I am fortunate to have time and money. So what's wrong with that? I have always believed in "boaters helping boaters"
Tsmith- I am glad that you have proven me WRONG!!:) :) (I've only been proven wrong once before - at least according to my ex-wife:D )

Let me also add that if you were a little more active around Sailnet, a lot of the skepticism could have been avoided.

'Looking forward to your 9th post!:D :D

#9 ·
Please note, I didn't say Nay either... I just asked Tony whether he had insurance or a USCG license, and pointed out that you often do get what you pay for...

#10 ·
Dear tsmith.

After doing many, many delivers over many, many years I have some thoughts concerning this topic.

I have found that boat owners that want cheap delivery skippers also are cheap when it comes to maintenance. When I am contacted by a boat owner and he wants to negotiate my price, I am not interested in moving his boat. If he can't pay my price, what corners did he cut on the boat? Many Free delivery skippers get them selfs into situations where the owners are afraid to move the because the boat is not ready to make the voyage and looking for some "fool" to do for them.

I can also tell you a story about a "free" delivery skipper who used this board just the way you are. Advertising his availability. He would contract for a delivery and then sell the bunks out on the boat as offshore training to newbies. He got himself in trouble with the USCG as he was advertising he was licensed (he was not) and he was running a commercial enterprise.

Just a rule of life, I don't want a cheap doctor, or a cheap lawyer, or if it is my boat a cheap delivery skipper.

#11 ·
Dear tsmith.

After doing many, many delivers over many, many years I have some thoughts concerning this topic.

I have found that boat owners that want cheap delivery skippers also are cheap when it comes to maintenance. When I am contacted by a boat owner and he wants to negotiate my price, I am not interested in moving his boat. If he can't pay my price, what corners did he cut on the boat? Many Free delivery skippers get them selfs into situations where the owners are afraid to move the because the boat is not ready to make the voyage and looking for some "fool" to do for them.

I can also tell you a story about a "free" delivery skipper who used this board just the way you are. Advertising his availability. He would contract for a delivery and then sell the bunks out on the boat as offshore training to newbies. He got himself in trouble with the USCG as he was advertising he was licensed (he was not) and he was running a commercial enterprise.

Just a rule of life, I don't want a cheap doctor, or a cheap lawyer, or if it is my boat a cheap delivery skipper.
Ahhh... no wait a second: You told me you do all your deliveries for free unless it is a Telstar... then they gotta pay you handsomely to risk your life. What makes you any different than this guy, except he forgot to mention the Telstar??!??

(anxiosuly awaiting rebuttal... hehehehe)

- CD

#12 · (Edited)
Dad, I am not saying Tsmith has anything but good intentions here. What I am trying to say, is a lot of people are leary of "free" anything.

If it were me, my add would read:

Outrageously priced Delivery Captain. But will discount for the right boat.
Old Fart, But 40 years of sailing experience. 12 years delivery experience.
USCG 100 ton Master of Oceans.
Owners on board welcome, will teach in route.
Many happy customers, except for the one owner. I took his boat into Savannah to let Tropical storm Isabella blow by and he was bitchin' because I work on a day rate and the boat was not moving for 48 hours.
Do not call me if you own a Telstar!

Hows that for a plug.:)

#13 ·
That's just because a Telstar goes way to fast for an old guy like Bubb2 to handle... :) CD wouldn't know, since he's never left the dock without his wife skippering the boat for him. ;)

#17 · (Edited)
#19 ·
For those of you who seem skeptical--let me offer this. I am recently retired.
My wife is still working. I happen to have some free time. I have owned boats all my life and I have sailed in and out of almost every harbor from Maine to Florida. I like to be on the water and I am fortunate to have time and money. So what's wrong with that? I have always believed in "boaters helping boaters"

#21 ·
Excellent... glad you added this bit of info.

#20 ·
ts,

If you had put that in the post it may have held back some skepticism. The old saying if it sounds to good to be true......kind of comes into play here. High five to you for being willing, and able to help others......i2f

#25 ·
tsmith409,
There is a nice chap named Ian who is on an Allied Seawind 32' ketch who is sailing down the coast to Miami right now. He is probably around Norfolk, VA right now. Check his thread out in the 'Crew Wanted' section, his 'handle' is Taffy1960 I think.
I sailed with him from the LI Sound down the East River to Manhattan a while back.

#28 ·
I often lurk on this site and rarely post. Also discovered i was registered on two different email addressess because i so rarely post. Just a reminder to the "regulars" of the site. # of posts is completely unrelated to a mariners experience and ability. If fact could be construed as just the opposite. Many folks spend their time sailing not web-surfing. I have met many who have limited or no web-access as they are are so closely tied to the sea: sailing, maintaining the ironjib, or oiling the teak. I do appreciate this vast sea of knowledge the "regulars" impart on the rest of us. Sailnet is a great resource on many a maritime topic with near instant reponse to any question. I hope tsmith is watching the almost full moon rise right now on a beam reach in the lee of an island with steady 14 kts!

#30 ·
I will deliver your vessel from Florida and surrounding areas to New England area (either way) free of charge. You only pay expenses. I have travelled the ICW many times as well as outside. I have an extensive resume and many references. Email me at tonysmith101@mac.com
Many insurance companies are requiring "competent crew" in order to provide coverage for a passage. "Competent crew" can mean a lot but generally it means sufficient crew to provide a safe passage. Many insurance agencies are now requiring a licensed captain as well.

There are many highly regarded non-licensed crewmembers out there and a number of poorly regarded licensed captains as well. It sounds like the original poster has lots of experience and probably would make good crew.

It might have been better if he'd posted "crew" rather than "deliver".

Oh, on my license it says "upon oceans", something I worked very hard for. That means I can take any boat up to 500-tons anywhere in the world without regard to safe port restrictions.

#31 ·
Dear Captain TSSmith409,
You work it the way you work it, you old salt. My first and favorite skipper, Captain Rick Whiting, sounds exactly like you. For all these fusspots who sit around being keyboard heroes editing posts all day, I say they need to spend more time at sea and less at the keyboard. Love is the law, my friend. I'd sail with you. "If you'd been more forthright"? Pah! You offered a free service for the love of the sea. Why would you be more forthright when everyone jumps your caboose every time a true soul posts on this place. Ping me anytime you need an extra hand! I have all the federal certifications for telephone sanitizing and moth collection organizing. dailywarren at yahoo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.