SailNet Community - View Single Post - My 3-5 Year Plan toward the Cruising Life
View Single Post
Old 06-16-2001

royono2 is on a distinguished road
My 3-5 Year Plan toward the Cruising Life

Just do it! I''m not saying get on a boat you''ve never sailed before and get underway for Tahiti. On the other hand theres nothing more depressing than spending years trying to prep a boat "absolutely perfectly" for a voyage you may not even enjoy. I''ve seen to many folks rotting in port after years of preparation.
Get a good boat. Don''t pay to much. Sell the house, what''s going to happen? You won''t be able to find another one if you decide not to sail around the world? Of course not. Make sure the boat isn''t going to sink, catch on fire or lose the rig over the side on the first couple of sails. Then sail the hell out of it. Plan short reasonable voyages. Daysails at first, then overnighters, learn your boat. Learn yourselves. The boat will get prepared as a matter of course.
Most importantly you''ll mantain your enthusiasiam and momemtum by sailing all the time.

My experience that allows me to offer such great insights??
Thirty thousand offshore miles or so...I bought my first cruising boat at twenty years old, it was great to live on but a terrible boat to cruise in. I''m now thirty, have an Alden 52 that was designed and built to sail the world, am selling the house this month or next and going sailing.

If you''re afraid to sell your house and you still plan on going sailing offshore, you might want to rethink the whole thing. There are millions of houses but you only have one life to live.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook