SailNet Community - View Single Post - Specifications for old IOR Quarter ton class.
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009
An Aussie Sailor

Mipcar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Mipcar Send a message via MSN to Mipcar Send a message via Skype™ to Mipcar
Talking Specifications for old IOR Quarter ton class.

I'm either not looking in the right places or that data is just not around but I've been trying for some time to get (in general terms) the specifications/design data to which boats would have to complied with to have met the Quarter ton Class in IOR.

The reason I ask is that I have negligible data my boat (designed to meet quarter ton) and I've been unable to find much at all.

It's a lead fin keel, spade rudder, masthead rig of 26ft length.

I'm reasoning that as it was built to a class specification then that specification should at least give me some common data about my boat.

Stuff like Offshore category rating, AVS (Angle of Vanishing Stability), keel weight,ballast ratio and designed total weight. General stuff like that.

Somewhere that data must exist, not specific to my boat but at least to the class.

I have contacted the designer, he's past 80 and unable to help. The original owner/builder has passed away, the factory that made the hulls is long defunct.
I contacted Yachting Australia and was told they don't have data for the old classes. I've posted on other yachting forums and to quartertonclass.org , all with no results.

I am amazed at how difficult it is to trace a boats history unless it was something remarkable but even more surprised I cannot find standard design specs either.

So looking for help people.

Mychael
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook