SailNet Community - View Single Post - Specifications for old IOR Quarter ton class.
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009

johnshasteen is on a distinguished road
Quote=Ilenart;490820]Johnshasteen,that website gives an estimate of the AVS, note the qualifiers in the website. Also I have found that trying to get an accurate measurement of the hull (not including the keel) in feet can be difficult and can further distort the calculation. Ilenart[/quote]

Ilenart, next time your boat is out of the water, take the measurements - I did and you can come pretty darn close. However, well before I did that, I had been through a Force 10 storm with Paloma and knew from experience that she would round up windward from flat down in the water, sails filled with water. On the other hand, if the boat in question is a plastic, fin keel, spade rudder round the bouy racer or lake/bay cruiser, then the owner doesn't need to know the AVS because they have no business venturing into blue water where one might encounter heavy weather.
s/v Paloma, Bristol 29.9, #141
Slipped in Bahia Marina, easy access to Corpus Christi Bay and the Gulf of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook