SailNet Community - View Single Post - Off to Bermuda in the morning
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
Veleda is in Rock Sound at the elbow of Eleuthera, right off the government dock. I conversed with the owner and I'm very glad to hear that they've worked out a way to get Veleda home. We were passing through Rock Sound and she wanted to know if we had remembered seeing if Veleda was OK. It's funny how small a world it is... Veleda's owner happens to find our blog on the web, sends me an e-mail asking if we had looked at her boat when passing through Rock Sound, and then on the Internet someone posts that their wife is crewing on a delivery north, I happen to read the thread and here we are...
You know, I've read that while hundreds of thousands of people cruise coastally and liveaboard, the number of people actively on passage (or preparing to do so) from a given area at any one time is quite low. Maybe this is why the trail of breadcrumbs leading to "coincidence" seems so short.

The Milliards on Veleda IV ran into Ken and Lynn on Silverheels III (friends of ours who went a-Bahama-ing last September) as they were preparing to head to Chesapeake for the hurricane season. Ken and Lynn forwarded the Milliard's call for crew to us, knowing we were looking for "real" sea hours for both the experience and to qualify for stuff like the RYA. As I've followed the Milliard's blog on and off for years, and as Judy was once my dentist (more small worldliness), they were a semi-known quantity. They are also quite involved in the local Power Squadron, and Aubrey's ex-Navy, so they can be reasonably assumed to have a high degree of seamanship skills.

So it was a good fit. I would've gone had I not been working and had the delivery been a week later. But I understand that "a week later" at the beginning of hurricane season is a throw of the dice, and so my wife left this morning in the dark and at this moment is probably on the tarmac for the jump to Nassau.

I think what can be learned from this for the original poster and for anyone seeking to be delivery crew is that crewing opportunities can arise quite quickly (particularly the juicy downwind ones with the Gulf Stream adding a few knots in the right direction!). One has to be flexible and have a bag packed and one's papers in order. Obviously, my wife is currently unemployed at everything but being a mother and renovating the house for tenants (not minor in terms of work, mind you!), and I work from home, so we have the option with only minor adjustments to seize at these opportunities.

Others would have to schedule crewing during holidays or unpaid leave...this is less attractive, naturally. For us, it means the floors won't be redone until July...but that is well worth a thousand sea miles of experience in the Atlantic.

EDIT: Oops, I forgot I was in Bruce's Bermuda thread and not the "how do I become crew?" thread!

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.