SailNet Community - View Single Post - high quality yacht brands?
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2005

PCP will become famous soon enough
high quality yacht brands?

Phil and pmills, Dr Matito remains silent about what he wants so I am going to continue this agreeable discussion in another thread that is basically about the same issue that we are discussing, I mean the one on General Discussion: "How heavy is too heavy".

I want only to tell Phil that he misinterpreted me.

You have said, quoting me:

"Paulo- If you believe “that a sailboat, except if it is a pure racer, is not only designed to sail, but also to live aboard. The quality and comfort of that life aboard and the autonomy of the boat will also influence its form, not only the interior, but also the hull shape”, then this statement goes far in defining your preferences in the yacht design continuum. It becomes apparent to me that creature comforts play at least an equal roll to sailing performance in your ideal boat. "

No, you are just guessing and you can not assume this from what I have said, and your guess is wrong.

About autonomy ( meaning by that, capacity to cross oceans or sail in remote areas with a family, or staying away from marinas), for that you need big water and fuel tanks, lots of supplies.

Let''s imagine that we are talking about a 38ft cruiser racer. Normally a boat like that is designed to carry around 100L of fuel and 150 of water. If you put in that boat a normal capacity for an ocean cruising boat, let''s say 350L of fuel and 400L of water, you are increasing (and only in this particular) the weight of the boat in 500kgs. If you join the weight of four or five people, more the weight of the supplies, dinghy, ocean life raft, extra batteries and electronic equipment, you are going to see that the maximum carrying weight of the boat (manufacturer defined), that in a boat of this type is around 1000kgs is exceeded for more than 50%. If you put all this extra weight in the flat hull of a cruiser racer (that is not designed for it) you are going to end up with a sluggish and probably dangerous boat, a boat that will not sail well.

If you start with a Halberg- Rassy, that comes standard with that kind of tank capacity and is designed to have, for the same size, more than the double of the carrying capacity, you end up with a boat that sails well and with a boat that is doing precisely the thing that it is designed to do.

Of course, the hull of a cruiser racer is different from the one belonging to a modern ocean cruising boat, and that has to do (not only, but also) with the weight each boat can carry and that has to do with the autonomy of each boat. That is what I mean.
(I know, from other post, that you think that if you need more carrying capacity, one should buy a longer boat, not a heavier boat. I think there are a lot of reasons to have a boat limited in size and I will clarify that view in another post.)

About hull shape and "quality and comfort of the life aboard", you thought that I was talking about "interior accommodations to influence hull shape", and that would never cross my mind. I was thinking in being able to cook and eat with the boat in motion, or not being thrown off the bed, not to speak of using the WC…. that kind of thing.

I was saying that a hull shape of a cruising boat is not exclusively determined by speed issues (sailing as fast as possible), but also thought and shaped to give a comfortable motion, that permits some degree of comfort of the life aboard (traveling).

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook