SailNet Community - View Single Post - Knock down
Thread: Knock down
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Knock down

I am posting this here in hopes of getting some feedback and instruction for when it happens again. I was sailing into Salem Harbor, Salem MA yesterday. A storm just blew over us and we had missed the rain. I was heading into the harbor close reached when suddenly we were hit on our beam by a squall with 30-40kt consistent winds.

The boat got knocked over and we took water over the rails. My crew was not very experienced so just held on. The boat came back up after several seconds, and I managed to get the boat turned into the wind. The boat was a Cal33 so the main sheet is foward of the wheel in a self locking winch.

I finally got my crew to release the main. Steering with my knee I was able to pull in the genoa. I then took the main sheet and maintained just enough power in the sail to keep steerage and we road out the storm squall for about five minutes.

We suffered through the blow, but I don't think it was very pretty. No injuries and no damage. I sort of remember reading that squalls often follow storms. I will research this for next time, because ideally I would have had the jib in and the sail reefed by the time I was hit. Any thoughts or suggestions. During this, I saw a beautiful 45 footer behind me on its side for a good minute.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook