SailNet Community - View Single Post - Queenstown Entrance = Shallow!?
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Red face Queenstown Entrance = Shallow!?

Bump...Bump...Bump...oops! So whats the trick?

For three seasons prior I had no working depth finder on the boat (Draw 4'2") and only "touched" bottom in those three seasons maybe three times. Then I get my tack tick instruments/depth installed and working/calibrated and I run aground on our second weekend out...Gota love it.

It took me about an hour to get off the shoal...not until my fat a$$ hung off the boom did we move at all. (Now I understand the look on that power boaters face as we were approaching the inlet )

We had decided on Queenstown for an overnight...why? A friend with a 35' C&C Landfall told me he and his sailing club went there last year and he mentioned what a beautiful anchorage it was. He also mentioned the tight inlet...but my smart a$$ didn't think much of it. Having done Fairlee & Still Pond Creeks many times I felt confident I could get in with a working depth finder, chart, and handbook...NOPE, wasn't gonna happen this time. I hit bottom at idle speed (2 knots +-) so I don't think I did any damage, but then I could seem to go anywhere until I dug myself a nice little hole in the middle of the channel Of course then I couldn't go forward, backward, sideways, just in circles. We must have been quite the site to those onlookers. ( 1 fishing boat was all I saw )

Here is a clip from Active Captain; I wish I had read this BEFORE I decided this would be a good spot for the night:

"Queenstown Creek is entered through a marked channel which leads to a turning basin at Queenstown, on the southeast side of Little Queenstown Creek. In July 2005, the controlling depths were 4.2 feet in the east half and 1.4 feet in the west half of the channel to a point about 200 yards above Buoy 5, thence 6.3 feet to the basin with 6.1 in the basin. The entrance channel is bordered by very shallow grassy flats." "Marked" my A$$

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook