When I wooded my OS 33 masts I decided to rewire the main. To make a long story short, Yikes! They are not coming out of there. I tried to gun-drill the mast with a 1/2 drill bit welded onto a 30' length of steel rod, and it wouldn't go, even with three guys pushing on it.
I gave up and took the core out of a double braid rope and ran the 6 wires and the wind instrument cable through it. I ran it up the mast secured with little bronze loop eyes. It looks like a halyard.
I have heard (over on the Cheoy Lee forum) of others with this same problem, and I have yet to hear of anyone who successfully got the wires out of the mast. I think they put gobs of resorcinol in the wireway when they were building the masts in Hong Kong.