SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reversing a 37
Thread: Reversing a 37
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Also one thing you will have to learn to accept is that you will not be able to get into every dock / slip at the angle or position you want to or sometimes not even at all! For example this past weekend my gf and I sailed across the Sound to Milford, CT and the dock master over there has every single boat pull in bow forward since each slip has a full length finger pier / side dock.

Our slip was all the way at the end of the creek on our port side as we were coming down the channel. At this point of the creek the channel was only 15 yards wide and there was maybe 25 yards of the stream left before it ran into rocks and a small bridge. So I knew if I pulled my boat in bow forward, then the next day when I went to go reverse, the stern would walk to port and no matter what I could do it would point the bow towards the bridge and the end of the creek. I would be screwed because there is no room to meanevuer and no way for me to turn my boat around and since it does not back up straight I wouldn't be able to back out because the boat woud just keep turning until it eventually backed into other boats.

So long story short I simply backed my boat in and made leaving the next day so much easier. Again the annoying part was not doing this, but having to explain to the dock master and every other A-hole on the dock why I was doing it and then listen to them try and give me a lesson on docking like I'm an idiot.