SailNet Community - View Single Post - How heavy is too heavy II ?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
How heavy is too heavy II ?

Just a quick thought, I have been passively following the "How heavy..." thread.

The comments you are making about the Swans, the 45 and the 46 are COMPLETELY different boats, the 45 with appx 20,000lb displ. with 9,000lb ballast vs the 46 with appx 31,000lb displ and a wide variety of ballast and keel configs.

I''ve spent quite a few thousand miles on the older circa 1975 Swans, 44, 47, 48''s and they were wonderful boats with great motion. We nicknamed them "Flying Furniture" for their stunning woodwork below. They really needed nasty conditions to make them shine against their "Lesser" rivals. Stiff wind, steep chop, and they just powered though it all. Not much in the light stuff, however. I would take one of the older Swan 44 MK I boats ANYWHERE in the world with confidence and comfort. (Although they were a bit stuffy in the tropics)

The modern Swan 45 is a "Take no prisoners" race boat, and it shows. It is lighter, and the joinery below is nowhere near as lavish as in the older boats. They are screamers in just about all conditions. But overkill for a family cruiser. Have not been on the new 46, but it looks to be a tamer, more sedately cruiser in the mold of the older boats, yet with even more emphasis on the cruising comforts.

I think you can design a boat to just about any type of motion and performance. All you need is the money.

How about the Reichle-Pugh boats? Nelson-Merek? They make boats that have great motion, and excellent hull forms, easily handled rigs.

And there is my all time favorite cruising boat designer, Robert Perry. While there were some build issues with some of the Valiants back in the 90''s they seem to have them all solved. The Valiant 42 is a boat that would hit almost all of my "Must Have''s" when it comes to a swift cruiser.

You don''t need a ton of weight for good motion comfort. A well designed hull, proper weight distribution, a well thought out interior, easily handled rig. Good contruction techniques. And you would have something that would suit you.

The problem I see with many boats today, they either try to be all things to all people, or so single purposed that they alienate 90 of the buying public.

I had a few moments with Robert Perry at Annapolis last fall, told him that when I win the lottery, I''ll have him design me a 45 footer and get Hinckley to build it. That way I would get the boat that was perfect FOR ME.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook