SailNet Community - View Single Post - Drogues/parachutes
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009

oceangirl is on a distinguished road
Valiente,
you picked up on something I didn't mention because I didn't want to stray from the topic but..
This storm was my first real offshore storm (1993). Because of the severity of that storm motoring into the waves was really very stupid. But that was the extent of our knowledge (thankfully God loves and protects stupid people too). The waves were so big that I spotted a freighter off my starboard quarter a few miles off and then didn’t see him again until he was off my port beam some twenty minutes later (and don‘t you know I was looking!).
The dripless stuffing box, after pounding for all those hours, started to implode. The prop would cavitate when the bow was thrown forward into a trough. This set off a series of events that took the lives of all our electrical bilge pumps (2) and then our manual. I , being the only one who didn't get seasick, had to bail out 30 to 40 gallons of seawater from the bilge ever 40 minutes to keep water from reaching the engine. I think the stupidest (is that a real word?) thing we did through that whole storm was to bring our life raft onto deck “just in case”. Frankly, if the boat couldn’t take this storm and our incompetence how could a plastic blow-up raft take it?

I have to say the Almond Pilothouse Motor sailor didn’t motor very well or sail very well but it was built like a brick house.

Sailingdog,
I know I am being a bit dense on this point but remember I’m a blonde on davocet. With the drogue I can make some course changes because it just slows me down, with the parachute I am “parked” and if in a collision situation can’t make course changes.

Saildork,
thanks for the suggestion I think I'll do just that. Did I mention that we had a psycho crew member on board too?

Storm,psycho, and sinking aside... It was a great ride!

Thanks for the input,
Erika

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- Unknown
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook