SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer Tires
Thread: Trailer Tires
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009

DBlair8809 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DBlair8809
Trailer Tires

It turns out that the trailer for the Catalina 22 I purchased recently has dual axles (4 tires) of 175/70/13 passenger tires. They seem old and have been sitting for quite a while (at least one needs to be replaced) so I was considering getting a new set as I'll be transporting it a short distance from one boat storage yard to another (the new place allows me to do work on the boat) and I don't want to worry about these tires possibly giving out in transit.

I spoke to someone at the local tire place and he mentioned that the tires on there now are passenger tires and not trailer tires- he stated this is probably because the previous owner wanted to save money. He claimed that passenger tires are not safe for a boat trailer as it doesn't offer enough support and that it needs ST 175/80/13 trailer tires

My question is whether this was just tire guy rhetoric or whether this is indeed a safety issue and something that I need to heed. Of course I'd like to cut costs if possible, but at the same time I don't want my trailer/boat toppling over in transit. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook