SailNet Community - View Single Post - How heavy is too heavy II ?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005

PhilMraz is on a distinguished road
How heavy is too heavy II ?

The old thread you seek was under Gear and Maintenance, for whatever reason.

I, too, enjoy such debates, but the dispersion of issues here has become tiring. A more targeted analysis is far better than a shot gun approach, but there are too many issues to deal with here. The original topic under discussion was about defining “quality yachts”, but there is no evidence of that in the quotes that have been taken out of context. This only reaffirms my original contention that boat discussions become rather meaningless without acknowledging the unique prejudices of the participants. I see now that, given our individual biases, it is doubtful we will see eye to eye.

Nevertheless, the basic subject, as I understand it, has evolved into a discussion of the benefits of mass in an ocean going cruiser. Paulo is evangelistic about the benefits and I know better than try to dissuade the faithful. Still, I might ask, how one defines the upper limit of massive benefits, based on these arguments. Is more always better? Why not? (One point at a time, if you please.)

If one finds comfort in the slower rocking motion of boats with heavier displacement / waterline length ratios, then by all means, these are the boats for you. -Phil
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook