SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer Tires
Thread: Trailer Tires
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
You would think that a tire is just a tire, right? Nope. Trailer tires are manufactured a bit differently and are what you should use if you like your boat. Save one of the old tires for a spare.
I was helping a friend this past spring to haul his MacGregor 26 S and he had gone out and purchased a passenger car tire to replace a flat on his single axle trailer. I was following behind in my car when we got up to highway speed and the trailer started acting 'squirrely'. Then the new tire popped off and was bouncing across the highway while the trailer gave off sparks. Luckily, no one was hurt but our collective pride was in a shambles.
This problem likely occurred because the tire was not properly torqued down but may have been helped by the fact that the passenger tire did not seem to track properly which backed off all the lug nuts and then bye-bye tire.
This is not an expense that should be incurred often. I would get all new trailer tires and hope they last a long time.
Good luck.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook