SailNet Community - View Single Post - How heavy is too heavy II ?
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2005

Silmaril is on a distinguished road
How heavy is too heavy II ?

Different horses for different courses. Yes Icon is a nice boat, but WAY too big. My ideal is closer to the 40 - 45 range. 65 is not realistic for a short handed (2 person) world cruiser. I''d refuse to use automated sail handling equipment, just one more costly thing to break down when you need it and to maintain. Nope, if I was going for a circumnavigation, I would use a variation of the Valiant 42.

But seeing that I am still in the coastal cruising/daysailing/racing mode, if I had some money lying around, I would go for the R/P designed Seaquest 36.

Since I DON''T have any money lying around, my Heritage One Ton will have to do for now. She has a comfortable motion (for me) intelligent design and construction(for her day) and moves along very smartly on all points of sail (as long as I keep a close weather eye out, and rig accordingly)

37'' long and 13,000 disp with 6,500 ballast on a 6''5" long chord fin, deep balanced rudder. She has "Big boat" motion in that her movements are not violently quick, and her shape does not foster excessive pounding. She tracks wonderfully, when trimmed well on a close reach, you can let go of the helm and adjust your course by sail trim. She will bite you, as all older IOR designs will, if you push her too hard running in a stif breeze and a following sea.

She loads nicely for cruising, taking on about 2,000 lbs of well placed gear with ease. I don''t need RV style amenities when I cruise, more on the mode of "camping with sails" so I have not burdoned her with excess amenities. Trying to overload an old race boat and convert them to cruising is just a bad idea. Even worse is taking a boat''s keel, lopping off "a few feet" and adding a bulb or fins to make it shoal draft is near lunacy.

I enjoy her speed, and the "Vintage Racer" appeal she maintains, not to mention the occasional bullit on the race course.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook