SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer Tires
Thread: Trailer Tires
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
I went through this a little over a year ago...had to buy a pair each for our C22 and our motor boat. Trailer tires are different from passenger car tires....they are made for infrequent use/long storage times and heavy loading (check the load ratings of trailer tires vs. passenger tires), with stiffer sidewalls to reduce side sway. Trailer tires are made in both radial and bias ply constructions, but both are different from passenger tires of either type. They are a little more expensive than low end passenger tires. The brands will likely (with exeception of Goodyear) be brands you have not heard of before, and only a few companies make them. In my search for brands (plus experience on motor boat trailer), I purchased Tow Master (bias ply) from Cabela's by mail....replaced both the tire and the wheels on C22 trailer as the old wheels showed a bit of rust. Used MAXXIS radials on the motor boat, since I could not find the Tow Master's unmounted. Do your own search on the internet....some of the more frequently encountered trailer tires have a real marginal marginal/quality record. You need to go with real trailer tires (the load range will dictate this), and one thing you don't want to do is to mix radial and bias ply tires of any type. Also, the discussion has been about passenger tires vs. trailer tires. Light truck tires are available also, but again these are not really suitable for trailer tires, as you investigation will show.

Last edited by NCC320; 06-03-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook