SailNet Community - View Single Post - R.C.M.P. boardings in British Columbia
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
The water police in the town I live in (but not where I keep my boat) are pretty much the joke of the marina. It is all political assignment and the guys are all cops of some sort but have no clue about boating what so ever. They constantly wake and swamp other boats in the 5mph channel including the town sailboat while there are students on board learning about boating safety....

Also we have seen them up on the local harbor sandbar more times than we can count (and these are supposed to be the local experts and also the channel is very well marked)

My friend keeps a very nice MainShip 30' Trawler (roughly $120k) in one of the slips at the marina but unfortunately it is docked next to the town patrol boats and every single time they back them out of the slip they slam into his starboard hull and then put it in forward and go on their way. His hull has huge marks all over it from this.

So unless it is the Coast Guard or trained professionals I have no respect what so ever for the local water police. I could be inebriated drunk and still be more competent and safe on the water than these clowns