SailNet Community - View Single Post - Calling C&C Owners
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009

LiamY is on a distinguished road
New C&C Landfall 35 Owner

Hi,

One week ago I became the owner of a 1981 C&C Landfall 35, "Dark-N-Stormy." I first saw the boat back in March and was impressed with how solid it was, inside and out. At the time the engine was out for a rebuild and so it took a long time between my initial offer and the sea trial. Since March I have been reading every article and commentary about the Landfall 35 I could find.

The one big knock on the boat is that it has a balsa cored hull, in addition to the more common balsa cored deck. However, C&C did a good job as the hull remains in excellent shape, with no delamination or moisture problems 28 years after being manufactured--I hired a certified surveyor to test for moisture. The cored hull is a full 1" thick, a sandwich consisting of 1/2" balsa coring in the center with inner and outer layers of 1/4" fiberglass. So, if properly maintained is provides exceptional hull strength for a 35' boat. Aside from that moisture risk, the boat has a lot going for it, strong hull, a keel stub that provides superior strength for attaching the lead keel and a deep bilge, good interior space with excellent storage, good tankage, steel rod rigging and a keel stepped mast. On the day of the sea trial the wind was blowing upwards of 18 knots on the Eastern Bay near Kent Island, and what a pleasant surprise it was to feel the boat take off in the chop smoothly, and without weather helm. The biggest problem during the sea trial was to stay focused on the trial and not get lost in the pure joy of sailing that boat.

I would enjoy hearing from other Landfall 35 owners. I am looking forward to many years of sailing and cruising in Dark N-Stormy.

Bill
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook