SailNet Community - View Single Post - R.C.M.P. boardings in British Columbia
View Single Post
post #28 of Old 06-04-2009 Thread Starter
johnvye

It has been interesting reading your responses to my original post. As someone who spent many years working in law enforcement, I am seeing tactics in Canada switch from a relatively polite British style of law enforcement to an aggressive American Style. I know we are lucky to have highly educated candidates still applying for jobs as officers but I wouldn't want to be in the field nowadays.
When I am cruising, this is my home. When I am at anchor, I want my home to be as private as my condo. This is still a free country... or at least it was. Oh, by the way, these safety inspections include questions like...what do you do for a living?....where are you going?......what are you doing down there that is illegal ? and other safety issues along the same lines.
These aren't safety inspections as much as tossing the whole coast and seeing what floats to the surface. I don't see how hundreds of armed high speed inflatables roaring around all our waterways will stop a determined terrorist. All a terrorist would have to do is use a Bayliner 60, I have yet to see a Mountie board a large (read wealthy) power boat. I am sure they do, but I haven't seen or heard of it yet.
Question authority.... Protect the few rights we have left....Challenge aggressive law enforcement (carefully) wherever you find it. If a police officer violates my charter of rights, I will pursue this through the courts.
I am a fan of the RCMP, they didn't decide to start doing this. Someone from the U.S. has convinced Canada to co-ordinate law enforcment tactics on both sides of the border. This is now what we have... a U.S. led initiative to make us like them. Overkill..... just my opinion....it really doesn't mean much.. John
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome