SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trailer Tires
Thread: Trailer Tires
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlair8809 View Post
I keep hearing people mentioning trailer tires of the radial and bias variety. What are the benefits and drawbacks to either type?
Well, It seems I've been corrected on my blanket statement earlier of No Radial for Trailers. But..... What makes Radials Good for steered vehicles makes them Bad for trailers.
The Radial ply allows the sidewalls to flex on corners keeping the Tread more level on the pavement for better traction. That benefit for steered vehicles has been clear for many years.
The problem is for a Trailer is that same side wall flexing - That Radials Do So Well - does nothing but bad things when your trailer starts whipping around. Tread Traction is of relatively little importance for your trailer because by the time things are so bad that you are "breaking traction" with your trailer tires your trailer has probably already flipped or whipped you off the road.
If they have now made Radials with stiffer sidewalls to basically defeat the purpose of the Radial ply for twice the price - fine buy them if you wish.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook